Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Strange Bedfellows make interesting kids."

There are time when people from different backgrounds and different opinions, come together for the common good. When human rights lawyer Julia Devin, Quaker physician Charlie Clements and the Seattle congressmen Jim McDermott met in to negotiate an agreement with El Salvador for medical neutrality, they had to work with the U.S. generals who had murdered thousands of people. Ideally, these were not the people that Devin, Clements and McDermott wanted to be working along side. Although it was hard for them to be around people who did such horrible things, Julia tried to focus on the fact that everyone has a good side and she "kept coming back to the sense that we had to try, and the possibility that this might help end the war." Julia also notes that by having these generals be involved in the peace process, they began to build a connection on other issues. In the end these two parties that seemed to have nothing in common got together and was a "a key building block in finally achieving peace in El Salvador."

I believe that surrounding ourselves with people who have had different experiences and different opinions the our own is vital to our growth as human beings. What will we learn if we just hang around people who come from the same background and think the same way that we do? While I may not agree with your opinion that doesn't mean I'm going to close my ears and ignore what you have to say. I might come to see the issue in a different light or at least better understand the your side. Varying experiences and ideas expand our view of the world and help us discover who we are and what we believe. In my opinion life would be very boring if everyone agree about EVERYTHING and what would we have to talk about.

Getting involved with SLICE has exposed me to people that come from various background and opinions but what we all share is our goal of making the world a better place. The way in which we go about achieving this goal might differ but in the end all that matters in that we accomplish what we've set out to do.

2 comments:

  1. Chloie, I think you've hit the nail on the head here when you write that you "believe that surrounding ourselves with people who have had different experiences and different opinions the our own is vital to our growth as human beings", but I think it is a lot harder to put into action than one might realize, perhaps. I mean, it is one thing to disagree with what another may think and believe, but a whole different game to have to work alongside those whom have put their beliefs into actions that direct insult or affront yourself! I like where you are going with the thoughts you've shared in this blog a lot though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyler :D I totally get where you're coming from. I know I would personally have a hard time working with someone whose opinion I disagree with regarding issues I hold near and dear to my heart. When I am put in that place (because I know one day I will be) I hope I can look at the bigger picture and try to put our differences aside.

    ReplyDelete