Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seeking out people whose points of view differ from our own keeps us open-minded to new problems, approaches, ideas, and solutions. I had a sociology professor once tell us that society can be prejudice against each other, but in a case of global disaster we would all come together as one. I believe this is what Loeb is referring in the quote "The more we listen to those whose experiences and perspectives are unfamiliar, the more we realize what draws us together." Just because we think differently does not mean we don't care about the same issues. I have to say that I'm very careful about exposing myself to others whose opinions differ from mine. I take into consideration the fact that it takes me sometime to think and come to accept an idea that is totally different from my perspective so why wouldn't another person feel the same way? I try to expose my ideas on a more approachable manner.  

1 comment:

  1. I believe this is important too; because too often we impose our views on others who automatically shut down and do not listen. We ourselves need to be open-minded and remember to try to look through the window of others' lives and understand their perspective on different issues.

    ReplyDelete