Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fun Forrest Run, if that what you must do to free your mind


I have never personally been burned out doing social activities, but I have been burned out doing sports. I remember playing football and there would be three weeks left in the season and all of the players could think about was the upcoming basketball season. I see the same looks on the kids faces today when I coach football. That why it is important to change practice around a bit or add a fun game at the end. The routine is what burns you out.
Most of the social things I do are short term projects. But I know people in my family who watched Lou Dobbs everyday for over a year straight talking about the illegal immigrant problem and complain about it. Then they got tried of hearing the same thing over and over again. I don't want to feel as passionate about an issue and get burned out by it. But I imagine it just like football you're gone for a couple of months and you want to hit somebody again. People have to find the balance that works for them. Family always comes first I not missing a kids baseball game to stay extra hours for the cause. But I can set aside the time to be active in my community and try to get my family and friend involved. If I can't get them to buy into my issue how am I going to get my neighbor too. Some things that the chapter brought up was to find the balance. You can't go all out on one thing 24/7, everybody needs some personal time to their self. Reading, watching a movie or even going on vacation were some examples. As much as we love a daily routine and little change is always necessary.
The whole time I read the chapter all I could think about was Jenny. The talking of getting burned out on Vietnam and other progressive causes was the something Jenny did until she came home to Greenbow, Alabama. Life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you're gonna get.

3 comments:

  1. But Lieutenant Dan, you ain't got no legs! HAHA! Awesome!

    Even when you have no legs, you still find a way to balance. I think you're right on when you mention that balancing your time, but still leaving some "you" time. I hope you've been playing football a lot lately because I don't you to withdrawl and try to tackle me, haha! I can't stand the people that absorb every bit of Low Dobbs and feel that it's necessary to tell me every opinion they have on HUGE issues they really know nothing about. That's cool that you coach. I think it definitely helps develop great leadership skills. Vietnam was horrible, but Forest Gump is awesome. I'll see you friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you compared it to football.

    and its true, sometimes too much of a good thing... is a bad thing. Take a break, and reflect on what you have done so far!

    DO WHAT YOU CAN, but not if it become a problem for you. Equilibrium

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love the relation to Forest Gump!
    You are right it is about finding balance because one can't only schedule volunteering; but it is sometimes difficult to volunteer without scheduling. :)

    ReplyDelete