Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Story of my Life

I absolutely loved chapter 9 because of how well it corrolates to my life. My dad use to always tell me that if I wanted to see my future, I could simply look at my friends. I've lived by that saying and have always tried to fill my future with promise and diversity. I know that I myself can't perceive every perspective to a situation no matter how hard I try. Yet with the help of friends; new viewpoints, ideas, and opinions open up. All throughout this reading I kept thinking about my workout group. Those guys are definitly my closest friends, and just the other day I was telling them how each of them expanded my ideas, skills, and self. They had been talking about how I had gotten us all together to start bettering ourselves in the gym, but they didn't seem to realize how much they had help me over the same time. My friend Riley, the one who assisted the gentleman with the ride in my earlier post, has always been my music mentor. While introducing me to new bands, genres, and sounds, he's also really helped me improve my guitar and piano. He also was my study partner for Chemistry and I can easily say I would've gotten a much lower grade than a B without him. He's also, I'm so sad to say, extremely democratic. But even our hottest debates have never interfeared with our friendship and have always strengthened or made me question my own ideas, in a positive manner. My friend CJ has always been our social guy. With being so great with the ladies, always being the guy you can always trust, it's hard to describe CJ as shy. While I'm pretty talkitive myself, CJ's made it so I can't shut my mouth, and given me a great friend. My friend Fal keeps me pumped for school and the gym with all of his crazy know hows. By just looking at these three awsome friends and the impact they've made on my life, and how they have expanded my limits, its easy to see how the same could apply to community service groups. Just from the time I've been going, my group leader Jacob has made a huge difference in my life, by driving and supporting me to participate in this program and its efforts.

1 comment:

  1. Your dad makes a very good point. If you have friends that are supportive of you and will be there when you need them, you could end up going far in life. I also like how you are able to be really good friends with your friend Riley even though you guys don't see the same certain issues. It just goes to show you are able to not let your personal views get in the way of a friendship. I'm glad that was to able to motivate you to join SLICE. You are an important part to the team.

    ReplyDelete