Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our Differences Can Bring Us Together

Sometimes it is not our culture or the way we were raised that brings us together. Sometimes it is simply the experiences we endure or the groups we get involved with. Every opportunity in life is a chance to make an important change. Listening to the life stories of others can give each and every one of us a chance to broaden our horizons. Being involved with organizations and programs that have a strong emphasis on looking past others’ differences and working together towards a greater good has really helped me out tremendously.

The story that stuck with me the most from the book was the one about the United Jewish Organization, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans working together as they never had before to benefit their children. They had to join forces to work for a common goal of improving their community so that it would be a safer and healthier environment for everyone. The fact that they overcame their differences so that they could become the El Puente organization and enforce positive changes for the sake of their community is amazing.


One event in particular that stands out in my mind is when I was in middle school and I went on a “Minitown” retreat. I had just moved to Arizona and I didn’t really know many people at my school. I remember the bus ride to the camp site was pretty quiet and no one really socialized much. As soon as we got there, we were given our room assignments and we rushed off to our cabins. Meeting my temporary roommates and getting to talk to them for a little helped to put my nervous mind at ease. When we were doing all the activities they had planned for us, I really got to know everyone there. I had no idea all of the different backgrounds and beliefs that people could have and I was surprised at just how much we did all have in common. All of these individuals that I had come into contact with were so unique and all had something special to bring to the table. By learning about the lifestyles and history of those I had met, I was able to ponder about my own life and reflect on what things I would like to possible fix. All of these individuals helped me to gain a new perspective on life and to learn that everyone deserves a chance, not matter how different they may seem. We all learned to work together to accomplish tasks set out before us and we all ended up growing very close. The bonds we had made during our experience there have stuck with us for years and it is a wonderful feeling to know that people can be brought together without having anything visibly in common. That experience taught me that through positive, open-minded communication, I could make life-changing differences. To truly help others, you must first work on yourself and by connecting with people and really lending that open ear, the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Very good story Amy. Its one of things were you can't go off and judge someone just because they have a different perspective on things because in the end you could end up finding out they you agree on a lot of other things. That person could very well end up being a life long friend. You are most certainly right when you said that we must have an open mind and connect with others because who knows the possible outcomes that could come from it.

    ReplyDelete