Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Open your hearts


People should seek out others opinions and points of views that are different than yourself, because it creates a learning experience than can be unforgettable, like in the story about the Good Atheist who brought people together to do a good cause. They all accepted eachothers' ideas and opinions to work for the greater good.

I volunteered to help my church in the nursery and Sunday school, I was fourteen and the youngest volunteer. I worked with other women in my church I hardly knew. One woman, Dannielle, was 34 who was married with 3 kids, and the other woman, Michelle, was almost 50 who had never been married. I worked with these women every week for around 5 months without really getting to know who they were as individuals. There was faculty party for all of the volunteers at the church, and that event is when I opened up to Dannielle and Michelle. Fourteen was a tough year for me. I was forced to leave my house, and on top of that I was dealing with teenage angst, rebellion, and searching for who I really was and who I want to be. Dannielle had stories about her daughters and trying to raise them was the most difficult thing in her life. I came to understand all the sacrifices my mother had made for me and I understood some of the decisions she had made, including kicking me out of her house. It took me about a year to talk to my mom again, but I did eventually apologize for all the trouble and pain I had caused her over the years.

Without opening up my heart and listening to Danielle's stories, I do not think I would ever have forgiven or spoke to my mother again. Now, I still work on Sunday mornings with Dannielle, Michelle, and a bunch more volunteers, and my relationship with my mother has grown tremendously. By listening to others' points of view, you see a different side of life besides your own. It gives another path for your mind to travel.

3 comments:

  1. Thats such a powerful story about opening up to others taylor! It really shows the benefit of going to a wide range of people with your problems.
    I completely agree with you about needing to listen to other point of views in order to learn more. However, I find that its much harder for me to share my own opinion, especially when it comes to highly divided issues. Do you ever have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    Every week I can see how much more open you are able to be on the blog. You are one of the stories everyone should hear. You have grown tremendously from what you once were (from what I understand from your stories). Opening up is so important in order to learn from them and for them to learn from you. This is especially true when you have the opportunity to gain mentors during the most difficult times during your life, whether personally or academically. Having other people there that are not your family allow you to feel less restricted about what you should or should not say (at least that is the way I feel). Though I love and addore my parents, there are some things I would rather share with a mentor who can better understand what I am going through, especially becuase I encounter many things my parents have not (like going to college).

    Great job on all your blogs and for sharing all of your stories with us so that we too can learn from your past experiences!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Alyssa: Heck Yes!! My parents aren't the listening type. Plus, listening to your parents usually, at least for me, means doing the opposite. I learned that going to people who aren't your parents for their opinions helps me realize that maybe I should take a step back and look where I'm at. It seems to be a good stragedy so far.

    To Aimee: Thanks for all your comments :) But to answer your question, that opening up and expressing my thoughts in a heated debate or in front of numerous people is not my cup of tea. If you have noticed, I don't really talk a lot in class, but at Horses Help sometimes I don't shut up. haha. But yeah, talking about MY opinions is extremely hard for me.

    ReplyDelete