Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Divine Forgiveness


“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness,”- Robert Muller philosopher and writer. This has probably been my most favorite chapter to read because I am somewhat of a history buff and felt strongly about the theme of the chapter. I like most people am guilty of the sin of over burdening myself and often feel that I am alone to carry my burden. I have 21 credits this semester, a full time job (even though I was hired as a part time employee), a family that needs me to spend time with them, a girl friend and friends, not to mention being involved with a magnitude of social causes. As much as I feel every task I add to my plate is a test to see how much one man can handle without killing myself, however, this does not come without fear. The fear of burnout is constantly on my mind and I am not one of those people who feel they get points just for showing up and that I need to give life my all at all times. This fear of burning myself out is what almost kept me from just about everything I am proud of this year, that I already had enough on my plate without getting involved. As Orlando Bloom said in The Kingdom of Heaven “what man is a man that does not try to make the world better.” I felt that I was hurting myself in not taking a chance on getting involved and those people I could meet and help.
The key to surviving this self inflicted torture is by finding a balance that allows you to stay sane. To do this, we must ensure that each segment of our lives receives its just amount of attention to keep us and those around us happy. As crazy as it may sound a good dosage of each area that over burdens us is actually healthy and everyone’s point of balance is different. One excerpt that I thought was especially meaningful to me was that about forgiving oneself. We spend so much time getting down on ourselves that we forget about our success and all the time we waste feeling this way. Many only make the situation worse by giving up or becoming depressed and often lose track of the path they were once on. Learning to forgive ourselves of our own mistakes is one of the most important abilities to have. If you cannot do this for yourself how can you expect someone else to give you such a gift. Sometimes to avoid burning oneself out, the solution is as simple as taking things easier on yourself, because even you can use a break every once in a while.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, Sir, whatever you'd like to be called- I really like what you got to say, and agree with some of it. There is that fear of burning out in everyone's mind. In cross country we are taught to give everything we have in our races, which would mean literally passing out at the finish. A friend of mine actually blacked out during a race because he was working so hard. Because of this, he was scared to push himself in the future. As Unfortunate as it was for him, I learned from him. You will never know your limits until you try and reach them. I totally agree with and support the idea of pushing your boundaries and limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. One’s who are involved in so many things in their lives often feel burned out and that they can’t possibly take on anymore. You are the perfect example of one who has taken on so many things in life, yet you get to see all of the amazing things that happen in doing so. Your dedication to school, work, community involvement, family, friends, and your girlfriend is amazing. I have witnessed you grow throughout the past 2 semesters and I am very proud of you. A lot of people do get down on themselves for not doing one assignment or missing that one due date. However, everyone needs to stop and take a look at how much you HAVE completed. It is amazing what people can balance in their lives while still having success in everything they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what both you and Brooks had to say :)
    Those are wise words, and I couldn't agree with them more. I never thought of pushing personal boundaries or limitations out of fear that I might overstep those boundaries. But, you'll never know how much you're really capable of unless you try and take risks.

    ReplyDelete