Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don't Miss Out

















LETS TALK

Chapter nine was very enlightening, it made me see some of our flaws (as volunteers). If you want change you can’t expect to see that by talking to people that share your same point of view. You have to communicate to others the issues that are affecting our surroundings; even if u feel unprepared and incompetent you should take the risk to extend yourself. We as volunteers forget that others see what we do as something foreign and this is why we should take the time to let them know exactly what we are doing. A bad example of communicating is saying “I’m part of a group named SLICE” and leaving it at that. This just leaves them with uncertainties a better example would be showing them pictures of the site that you work at, the website, this blog…this grabs their attention. If we don’t show people what SLICE is really about they won’t be interested and they won’t volunteer and we would have made no difference in their lives.

DONT MISS OUT

Lets face it, when you don’t get involved you are missing out. No one should feel empty and it doesn’t matter what you look like, how old you are or what language you speak, everyone brings something to the table. In the chapter they shared a story about how a coalition fought a proposed garbage incinerator. These people were completely different, they were even different races, they never agreed on anything until it was affecting both of them and the well being of their children. They worked together shared opinions and ideas; the end result was winning the case. Coming together brings more energy and with that more power.


THE GOOD RESIDENT

Lets open up a little and speak up! I did that this week; it made me feel free and comfortable with who I am and where I come from. A very dear close friend of mine decided to share how she felt about Sheriff Joe Arpaio by saying that she doesn’t like how people criticize him for doing his job “right”. Her and I do not share the same opinion, but this is because we are two different people and we come from different backgrounds. She is an American citizen and I have a resident card. She is Caucasian and I am Hispanic. We are similar in something though, she loves America and I love America. I decided to write her an email explaining to her my thoughts on our sheriff and a link with some information on how he works. I believe that we all have the right to our own opinions and even if we don’t agree we should still be friends but its always better to communicate how we feel.

I honestly don’t think I would be so open about my feelings if it wasn’t for these past 2 months in this great class. I know we all say it but I do feel like I have stepped out of my comfort zone and it is thanks to SLICE.

3 comments:

  1. Hay Laly!! I agree totally that we have to step beyond our comfort and be willing to step out there to talk about what we believe in. I find that I hate confrontation and prefer everyone to get along so speaking to someone who doesn't share the same ideals takes a decided effort, but I find myself willing to do it more and more in the last couple of years. So yes we do need to speak out especially on issues like the Joe Arpaio thing where many people just don't know the truth but they believe they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this same example as well because I thought it was a great representation of how people can be complete opposites yet end up finding common ground on many issues. We just have to expose ourselves to other people who have different views and listen to what they have to say. At the same time we need to express our own opinions so that we can see what goals we share with each other. There is strength in diversity, because everyone has different perspectives and ideas they can offer that can create so many new possibilities.

    I really like what you said at the end I agree and think SLICE has given us a great way to express ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laly,

    I am so glad that you realize that by just saying "I'm in SLICE" people have no idea what you are talking about. They do not know what service-learning is or what it stands for. This is also why knowing what the accronym means is important. Serve.Learn.Inspire.Change.Educate. When people hear this, not much explanation is needed. They can hear the change, the want to better the world.

    I am so glad that by being apart of this class you have been able to be more open about your beliefs and how to diplomatically state the facts and why you believe what you do. No one can disrespect someone who is able to state their beliefs and why they think they way the do. I hope that your friend continues to respect your background and point of view, maybe she will even begin to change what she believes. All because you were confident enough to share your perspective and step out of your comfort zone.

    You are such an amazing team member and I am so happy that we were able to have you on our team and watch your growth!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete