Monday, March 1, 2010

The Big Picture

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



While not from chapter nine, the story of Pete Knutson uniting fisherman, environmentalists, and Native American tribes to preserve salmon spawning grounds preaches to different groups pooling together to produce a positive change. In my experience, I worked with a group of volunteers that hailed from very different walks of life at the 2008 presidential elections. When it comes down to it, the people who you make the greatest changes with could be the mirror opposite of you, but as long as there is a common goal, differences can be worked through. Pete Knutson, a fisherman, set aside his beliefs so he could cooperate with environmentalists, and Native American tribes to save the salmon. At the polls, some of us favored the right and others liked the left, but in the end we all wanted to let every have the chance to vote.


I am confident to say that I have never been burnt out from being involved in a social involvement. The reason for this is that I learned to deal with burn out in wrestling. I have brought up my experiences in wrestling so much, because I truly believe that once you wrestle, everything in life becomes a bit easier. It’s a sport that is physically and mentally demanding that consumes you leaving you in hate and simultaneously wanting more. Ever since then, burnout has not held me back from involvement especially in social activities. I balance social involvement with the other numerous activities in my day by making it a priority just as other events. When wrestling became way too serious, was when burnout set in, and I had to take a step back to realize that I joined to have fun. The key to preventing burnout is to remember why you became involved, and analyze where you are in the big picture to move through rough times.

3 comments:

  1. Jordan,
    I like the way wrestling helped you with that problem. I personally struggle with feeling burnt out, not necessarily from social activities, but from everything I do in my life. Ha. It's awesome that you found something that taught you how to deal with that. You definitely seem to be very passionate about wrestling! And I can see why: it really added to you as a person.

    I like what you said about people being different but being able to pull together as one for ONE goal. I think sometimes one of the hardest issues is to REALIZE you have to PUSH those differences aside and have your common goal dictate your attitude and actions, especially toward each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan.
    I would totally have to agree with you on this in high school i played numerous sports, not because i was good at all of them just because it was something I wanted to do and it would balance my life out like you. It was not something I was forced to do like school.ha but it was something I enjoyed. The rush of everything else would go away for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan,
    It is awesome that you can use the foundation you have from wrestling as a referance for the things you are doing now. That shows to us what influences have helped to sculpt you as a person. Perserverance is an amazing trait to have and because of wrestling you have an abundant amount of it. For that, I am grateful because while working with you I can see how that you try until you have succeeded.

    ReplyDelete