Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Keep feeding Your Fire!

I would say I was not burned out with the social issue, but definitely smoldering. As I said in class a few times, I became a valley Big Sister for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Before I was matched, I envisioned this incredible relationship that would instantly blossom into a long-lasting bond with this individual. I was beaming with excitement sharing with my peers and family members of the day I got to meet my little. Some of the people I told had a different opinion of the program. One of my “friends” explained how these kids were messed up and how I could be a positive influence, but nothing would come out of it. One of my family members expressed their concern for my safety. I remember my mom just being worried about me driving by myself where my little lived. All of these negative or concerning thoughts began to discourage my desire to be in the program and be involved in the positive changes of our community. When I was paired I began to see the ground crumble beneath me.


She was as tall as me, a sixteen year old, and pregnant.


Thoughts began to race through my head like “How could I help her?” As time went on I was sadden by her fortune of events that she had been through, but she showed me a different light. I’ve learned that others will always have a difference of opinion, but I could not let that hold me back from becoming a part of her life.


Our balance of larger commitments and our personal lives are completely out of whack! Most focus on their job (I am a part of this group) and lose any type of personal lives. No one eats at the dinner table, shares the positive stories, or has an empty day in their iphone calendar.
The book most shared political issues. It explains to focus on the progress that the issue has made versus squinting your eyes to see the end of the issue. Everyone can still recognize the “callousness, shortsightedness, and injustices.” So if you feel discouraged remind yourself why you have the viewpoint that you do. I thought a good example was the war in Iraq. A lot of American citizens were enraged at the government, but nothing was done about it and the war is still going on.


The good thing about a smoldering fire is that one little leaf can reignite the flames.

5 comments:

  1. I love your story about your big brother/big sister involvement. I can tell that it has been a great experience for you and that you have learned a lot from it.
    I also think that your ended quote is very good and very true! It only takes one thing to get the fire going again. Great blog Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line of your blog is so true. I just commented on another blog saying not to lose who you are and why you do the things you do. I;m glad you touched on that. Too many times we become interdependent and worry too much about what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy,
    I agree with you when you said others' opinions were not going to keep you from becoming a part of your little sister's life. You did a good thing standing up for what you believed in and that is one quality most people lack they are easily influenced by others' opinions.
    I'm sure everyone that had any doubt before you started the program are now proud of your achievement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy! I am so proud that you have such a passion for your Little Sister! That amount of commitment for such a great program is rare, but wonderful! I am so glad I have gotten to hear some of your experiences in Big Brother Big Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me want to look into this program!

    Although every time I think of it, I just cant get the movie Role Models out of my head

    :)

    ReplyDelete