Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Burned Out: Learning to Cope


Sounds like the story of my life, always being burned out and unable to find time to do even the most important of things. When do I eat? When do I sleep? And I always tell myself, "If only I had time." Personally, I can't say I've ever been burned out while participating in some sort of social change or cause, but I can say that on numerous occasions, I've been overworked and overloaded to the point of near meltdown.


In high school, I was popular. Probably because I tried to be nice and made friends with everyone. I made the varsity basketball team as a freshmen, was a member of the literary club, prom committee, student government, and was President of the National Honor Society. Everything was perfect, and on the exterior one couldn't see that anything was wrong. Internally, I was being smothered. It was work, work, work all the time. Our basketball trips were long and inconvenient, meaning we were often dismissed from school early, which meant less time in class and more time on the bus trying to concentrate amidst the chatter and music of 25 school girls. I was constantly making meeting agenda's and scheduling community service projects for NHS. With a course load consisting of honor's and AP classes also, my life was hectic.


I lost it, and broke down.


I wasn't happy. I had no fun. I didn't have time to sleep. I didn't have time to eat.

From that moment forward, I've had to step back and analyze the things and people around me. If I do that, how will it benefit me? If I do this, will it make things easier? I've learned to balance myself. Balance is key to making everything run smoothly, and is the only way to not burn yourself out. On a very personal level, I can say that more recently I've decided not to pursue several school activities with fear that I will be 'burnt out' and overloaded with things and people I can't handle. I am trying, however, to get more involved and become who I once was.


Balancing large committments and our personal lives? Juggle and prioritize. It makes things interesting, while still allowing structure and functionability. And to prevent becoming burnt out? Focus on the big picture and remember why you're involved in the activity or organization in the first place. It can make the difference between a comeback and a meltdown.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya girl. I am so overwhelmed sometimes. With me, I have to continually remind myself that it's all a matter of balance. Although balance is sometimes hard to achieve, I totally agree that without having things to prioritize life would be a total bore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you brought a point that all of us feel at some point in time. The way I personally overcome being overwhelmed is simply by encouragement from others wether that be from friends or family. A little boost of confindence can definitely go a long way. Although planning out and staying organized is antoher great way not to burn yourself out because it gives you the time to get everything done that needs to be.

    ReplyDelete