Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Like a moth to the flame.

It is sad to say, but I have never been involved in a social cause let alone been burned out from one. However, during my senior year of high school I was thoroughly burned out from track and field. I had been competing since 6th grade and every part of me was worn out. I wasn't just worn out from the exercise, but also from the competition and it seemed like I was meeting the same type of people over and over again just different faces. I can relate to the stories in this chapter, just on a different level.

I will admit that I am afraid of being burned out while involved with a social cause. It seems as though whatever cause I choose to get involved in is a perpetual upward, mountainous, cliff-climbing activity. I love a challenge, but I also love reaching the top and even though Loeb tries to explain how to deal with being burned out and how to prevent it, he makes me more afraid. Plus I feel as though I can barely handle getting my own life in the direction I want it to go, how can I handle changing or helping a social cause too? This class has helped me realize I can handle volunteering, but it also helped me realize that something has to give. My social life gave in. The people in the chapter who were once powerful activists now have lives that are filled with work, kids, and family feel that they want to relax or they don't have enough time to give back as much as they used to. There have been so many studies that show too much stress is detrimental to a person's health. Relaxation is good. So when is enough, enough? I love volunteering and I am not saying that people shouldn't give back or volunteer or get involved with the community, but what has got to give? How do we balance our larger commitments and our personal lives? I can't even begin to answer that question. My life isn't the same as everyone elses I know what can give in my life, but I don't know about anyone else.

The idea that I liked the best about the prevention of being burned out was starting a support group. I know that whenever I vent my frustrations or even express my happiness to my friends or family, I feel as light as a feather and more energized. A support group is not only a place where feelings can be expressed, but also where new ideas can be formed.

3 comments:

  1. Miss Wolfe, when you get burnt out. Get rhythm! (Johnny Cash reference!!) Having a great support system of family and friends makes all the difference! Somebody to pick you up and dust you off, send some encouragement your way with a pat on the back to boot!

    Also, can't burnout be a good thing, to kind of encourage you to move on to where your interests have shifted? Like, to go to good elsewhere?

    "What has got to give?" Good question. You are right though, it is something the individual can only answer. Great insight and input! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay:

    I am amazed to the fact that you actually admit of being afraid of being burnt out while involved in a social cause. Many others will just say that they will put to practice the guidance that the book has given us, yet you challenge it. I truly respect people that can actually think outside the box and come up with arguments rather than to just agree to whatever it’s put in front of them.

    Thanks to this class we have grown intellectually and spiritually. Not only do we have more knowledge but we feel as if we have become better in a way. This is what volunteering does to you. Although you ask, what has got to give? Many have different answers will come up. Once you give it a second and think about it, the beauty of diversity will arise and overwhelmed you. We all come from different places and each experience means something completely different to what it may mean to you. Being united and still sharing different points of view is what makes us a stronger group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about being afraid that you won't reach the top because you become burnt out. Seeing a result is sometimes vital for us to continue. But I think that the preventative measure you took from the book about creating a support group would help a great deal. Hearing what other people have to say always makes me realize that we actually did make a difference, sometimes it's hard to see, but for me, others make it possible.

    ReplyDelete