Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chain Reaction


Rachel Scott has changed my life.

She sadly lost her life during the Columbine shooting on April 20, 1999 in Littleton, Colorado. Not until a few weeks after her death, did her parents find the life changing essay that spearheaded the nationwide organization called Rachel's Challenge. In this essay she wrote, "I have this theory, if one person would go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go."

I first heard Rachel Scott's story during my leadership as the president of Club Impact in high school. Club Impact focused on making a change within the student body on campus. She motivated me to start with the small steps within the heart, not the body or mind. It was there, in the heart, that lives would be changed and people would show kindness for others. I decided that during the hustle and bustle of exams, homework deadlines, and standardized tests we needed to make a change immediately.

In memory and honor of Rachel's Challenge, Club Impact sold strips of construction paper to students. It was their job to write on the piece of paper one person who motivated them to keep pushing to show kindness. Once that was done, multiple leaders of the club rolled the strips of paper into circles and then attached them together. The randomness of colors, thoughts, and inspirational words created a beautiful chain which was hung in the main hallway. Each student was then able to see daily that they now are a link in the chain of kindness, just as Rachel had dreamed about.

I never lost my compassion and drive for this social cause. Kindness is instilled within each human being and needs to be shown at all times, so I involve myself in organizations that I believe in. When my heart is encrusted with the same mission statement, I find it impossible to burnout.

1 comment:

  1. Amber,

    I like the knowledge you brought and approach that you took when you answered this question. All along we have been saying how we need to take things one small step at a time, and we should begin with small acts of kindness. Everyday those acts could add up to mean a great deal to those people we reach out to.

    ReplyDelete