Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Stay on the Path


Sometimes as human beings we stay so much within ourselves and our thoughts that we don't branch out and explore new ideas. It's almost like an ethnocentric way of thinking. I think Loeb is trying to say that we all have something in common, even if we agree to disagree. We can always find some common ground and gain a new understanding of the situation. Ellis and Atwater found common ground when their kids were made fun of because their parents were working with the enemy(blacks and whites). Through that realization they began to unite black and white communities. None of my friends are Christians. A lot of the time I find myself getting lost into their lives because they look more exciting. They do things that I know I should not do and say things I now I should not say, yet I want so badly to be apart of them that I forget my conscience and dive in. We all do agree on one thing, there is a higher power in our lives. For me, that higher power means so much more than just acknowledging that something exists.



If you can call "See you at the Pole" a social cause, then yes. I remember being in 8th grade and everyone holding hands to pray around the flag pole. They had donuts for all the participants, but other people were eating them. This kid came up to me after the pray and said "See, I don't have to pray to eat a donut." I walked to class thinking, he doesn't have to pray to live or go to school or breathe, so he doesn't. The next year I was late to the event, and the year after I didn't go. I didn't feel like there was any point in going. When senior year came, I went to my last pole prayer. I'm really glad I did that. Fear of burnout doesn't hold me back. I keep pressing forward, because sometimes that is all you can do. Sometimes your personal life takes the back burner. We can't have our cake and eat it too. You have to stand your ground, accept the set back and move on. Think of it as one step back =two steps forward. You have to do what you have to do, and don't let anyone tell you anything different.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean when you say you sometimes get caught up in another persons life. They always look so much more fun and care free or whatever you want to say attracts you to it. Grass is always greener, right? But I wanted to ask what you meant when you said that none of your friends are christian, yet they are doing things you shouldn't do or saying things you shouldn't say? I see christian do some pretty unchristian things all the time. I don't think its a matter of religion, just of moral ethics, which can be two very different things, even if you draw your ethics from your religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Chloie Stelton:

    It's very true that sometimes you feel pressured by others and think you have to do something you aren't comfortable with just to belong. We do need to branch out and this may lead us to unite as human beings and put our differences aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna,

    I completely agree with what you say about seeing many of your friends who are not Christian doing things that you know you should not do, yet wanting to jump in just to be apart of it. I too have been there and unfortunately it has caused me to loose some of my friends because all you want is the best for them, but they don't undertand that you disagree with their activities. However, sometimes it is better to take part to some degree. For example, if some of your friends go to parties and whatnot, going to them isn't wrong biblically, but it is what happenes there that may not be right. But you can go and set an example. Unfortunately, there are some people who call themselves Christians, yet do things that are not biblically correct and cause this hypocritical image. But it is up to us who are Christian and have faith to set the example of our beliefs. By sharing our perspectives with those who disagree with us, they may gain a better understanding of what our faith entails.

    You can also always rely on a mentor (whether at your church or another Christian friend) to help you through these trying times of making an impact on your other friends.

    Even though sharing other perspectives can change some of your view points, you must also understand what you truly believe and stick to them unless they are disproved.

    Great job once again! Thank you for sharing all of your innermost thoughts so that we can all grow as well!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete