Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beat Burnout!

I have not actually felt burntout while involved in community service, quite possibly because I haven't been involved in community service for an extended period of time. The most significant cases of burnout that I can recall are all related to school. It is not uncommon for me to wind up feeling like I have so much homework that it will never all get done. Sometimes this is my own fault from procrastinating or poor time management but other times it is from simply having too many things going on at once. To be quite honest, I'm feeling a bit burntout as I write this blog, but a large factor in that is being sick these past few days. Que coughing fit.

I can't say that fear of burnout has made me avoid social interaction, however burnout itself has pushed me into solitude while I struggle to catch up. I would think that the best way to balance larger social commitments would be to look at schedules over a week or perhaps even a month and determine what time you can devote to those commitments and when those times are. Of course personal lives are also very important to our well being and so some designated chunk of time should be allowed for relaxation and socializing with close friends and family.

Steve Kaczmarski said "The No. 1 cause of burnout is doing the same thing over and over again and not seeing results. You need to do something different,..." I feel that if this is true then perhaps the method I mentioned above for balancing commitments and personal lives wouldn't be the best. It could still be effective, I believe, if some of the order was changed up every now and then. Perhaps a little spontaneity could make a world of difference.

Quote from: http://www.quotesdaddy.com/tag/Burnout

1 comment:

  1. "Que coughing fit." I laughed out loud at that one! haha

    I know where you are coming from though, that feeling of uncertain gain despite all the effort you put forth to achieve something (be it academic in nature or otherwise). I like your quote a lot too; I hadn't thought of the source of frustration to be repetitive action yielding the same fruitless results. huh.

    Also, I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete