Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"People have been known to achieve more as a result of working with others than against them." Dr. Allan Fromme

Loeb says "The more listen to those whose experiences and perspectives are unfamiliar, the more we realize what draws us together". I believe Loeb is telling us that we can find common ground and draw together for a positive cause with virtually anyone. There are basic problems that we- no matter our religious background or political party- can agree are destructive to society and work together to solve the issue. In essence, I think that when we listen to those who have ideas and beliefs that we are appalled at or disagree with- and are still able to find common ground and humanity within those people- then we see that we really are all partners in improving our society.

My favorite story in Chapter 9 was the one about C.P. Ellis who was an important Ku Klux Klan member but ended up not only developing a close friendship with a black women but also became an advocate for blacks and whites working together. This was accomplished when Ellis placed himself in uncomfortable situations where he had to work with those he strongly opposed; Then was Ellis able to see those he was fighting against were people just like him- with the same concerns and fears and problems.

Personally, I tend to avoid situations that might be uncomfortable and could possibly challenge my beliefs. I do occasionally venture out of my comfort zone, such as at school and work, but try not to take absolute stands on most things. I think this is because I fear might not defend or explain my stand on the issue well, and that could change peoples’ opinions of the solution I am supporting. I also cannot stand to have others dislike me, and I fear some of my views could offend those around me. I don’t think this is a very healthy attitude, as I am of the opinion that to truly grow as a person you must have your beliefs challenged. When the things you hold to are questioned then you have to decide why you believe the things you do, and whether they can stand up to the arguments and views from the other side.

I have had a big opportunity here in SLICE to grow more comfortable voicing my values and opinions among people who don’t always feel the same way. The last chapter discussion we had about values was very helpful to me, and I gained confidence from talking about differing values with the class. I hope to continue to put myself in situations where I can learn more from others and also learn more about myself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Aimee, that's so exciting to hear about how you are seeing growth in yourself through the class! I'm glad that you are able to see that! I hope that over the next couple of weeks you venture out to share your beliefs and values with others because sometimes that is exactly what somebody else needed to hear or learn.

    ReplyDelete